Re: Postscript best for portability?

Subject: Re: Postscript best for portability?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 12:51:00 -0600

* pdf -- we are currently looking at the pros and cons of Adobe
Acrobat since the reader is free and is based on postscript. how
has this worked for other people? i've read a few testimonies so
far, but none which have swayed me either positively or negatively.

Just heard this complaint from a .pdf user. He's paper-oriented, so take however
you will, but the Acrobat reader he was using couldn't print just the odd or the
even pages.

Now, before you dismiss this as a cockeyed complainer, think about it. If you
were paper-oriented and so wanted to print the manual out (assuming some large
size, say 300+ pages) and put it a binder conveniently, you'd have to print the
whole thing out, then take it to a two-sided copier to get it on both sides of
the printed page. If you could print just the odd pages, then reload the printed
pages and print the even side, you'd save a considerable amount of paper.

You need to make up your own mind about it, but that *is* one of the down sides
of most on-line doc distribution.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124