Tech writer turned poet

Subject: Tech writer turned poet
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:11:43 -0700

I attended a memorial service for Rudolph Langer on Thursday, so I've been
remembering vignettes from the 32 years I knew him.

A long time ago Rudolph explained to me what iambic pentameter is. He said
"it's 'Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.'" Then he told me about a
bet he had made with a friend.

Rudolph had bet that he could translate any piece of prose into iambic
pentameter. The friend had given him a page from an IBM "principles of
operation" manual, and sure enough, Rudolph had produced an iambic
pentameter version. I saw it, but I no longer remember it. I wish I had a
copy. ...RM

Richard Mateosian http://www.c2.org/~srm/ President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro