Re: Modems for Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Modems for Technical Communicators
From: Jim Curran <jcurran -at- USR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 10:12:45 CST

I, of course, second Mike's points.

Jim Curran
US Robotics

Subject: Modems for Technical Communicators
Author: Michael Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV> at Internet
Date: 07/18/95 07 07 PM

If you plan to view Web pages from home, I would recommend that you
break open the piggy bank and go for a 28,8 modem and make sure it
has a good data flow controller. I bought a Hayes High-Speed Serial
Port for my PC and the data receive/transmit is so much smoother.

And, BTW, it pays to spend a little extra and buy a name-brand modem, such
as U.S. Robotics or Hayes. Buy a copy of _Computer Shopper_ and look at
the reviews. My brother-in-law told me that _Computer Shopper_ recently
reviewed 28,8 modems.

Also, if you plan to do a lot of online work/play, I suggest an external
modem. You can troubleshoot problems much more easily and reset it if
you get into trouble.