idiom usage (re: Bill Burns)

Subject: idiom usage (re: Bill Burns)
From: Jeffrey Pittman <Jpittman49 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 1995 02:36:15 -0400

Techwirlers:
As a technical writing tutor specializing in ESL (non-native English
speakers) students, I find that my first duty is to explain the concept of
the English idiom. After the just completed thread on multilingual
documentation I feel it should be clear that as technical communicators we
must avoid using idioms at all costs. As an earlier thread concluded, we are
not in the business of making sure that everyone can understand everything we
write, but we are in the business of making sure that no one misunderstands
what we write.
Good luck,
J.P.