Re: Modems

Subject: Re: Modems
From: "Montgomery, Kevin" <kmontgomery -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:35:22 PST

Bob Handlin wrote:

>For those of you who don't shop for computer stuff often, 14,400 modems
>(with good comm software) are readily available for under $100...

I counsel spending closer to the higher end of that range. I just bought a
$50 V.32 14.4 modem that the packaging indicated had all the needed bells
and whistles. The documentation is terribly translated, virtually
unintelligible, and applies to a subtly different model. The included
communication software doesn't even list this particular brand of modem
among the dozens in its configuration options, so I'm having a heck of a
time getting the thing to work. The worst part, though, is that the piece
of junk also provides AM talk radio as a background to my phone
conversations. At least it's not Rush...

-Kevin