Subject: Summary: Yellow vs. Amber
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 07:30:08 MST

Following is a very brief tally of the responses I received
regarding the use of "Amber" in the "Red, Amber, Green" sequence
that indicates status. By "status" I mean the stage or condition
of something, such as a project.

Six responses were of the pedantic sort: Amber is simply not
the same *color* as yellow. To that conclusion I argue that the
shades of red and green are hardly consistent either.

Four responses concluded that traffic signals were the
historical reason for using "amber." To that I side with common
usage. As one respondent commented, how many times have you heard
somebody say "But officer, the light was amber when I entered
the intersection!" I run yellow lights.

Three responses gave some general comments without stating an
opinion either way on the source or use of "amber."

Two responses agreed with me that yellow was acceptable and
appropriate.

One response attributed "amber" to LED indicator colors.

One response attributed "amber" to the amber monitors that were
developed as an easy-on-the-eyes alternative to the old
green-screen monitors. (FWIW, I agree that amber on black is
easier to read. I have the colors in my e-mail software set to a
dark (not bright) amber text on a black background.)

One response attributed "amber" to the color of glass lenses or
tail lights on vehicles.

To these I add that on Star Trek, they have "red alerts" and
"yellow alerts." I've never heard them have an amber alert. :)

****** A hearty THANK YOU! to everyone who responded
****** to my Friday nit-pick.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=