Re: Printing Postscripted Files

Subject: Re: Printing Postscripted Files
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 07:02:00 -0600

I am putting a postscript file of a manual on-line on our
company's FTP server. I know how to print a postscript file
from MS Windows, but I do not know how to do this from a
Macintosh. I would like to offer downloaders instructions in a
readme.txt file on how to print postscript files. Also, if
anyone knows how to print a postscript file from a UNIX box,
I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Along with all of its postscript laser printers Apple ships something called
"LaserWriter Utility." This utility is also available on its own from Apple's
FTP server (ftp.info.apple.com). It has the ability to download a postscript
file to a printer. Tektronix also has a utility which does this, and, though I
haven't looked for them, I'm sure there are a few shareware alternatives.

If the files are one-page long, there's a shareware called EPSConverter which
can convert them to an editable Adobe Illustrator file.

Nibbling at the back of my mind is the thought there is still another way to do
this, but I don't remember it right now (I use the LWU to print them, myself).

Have fun,
Arlen

arlen -dot- p -dot- walker -at- jci -dot- com
In God we trust, all others must supply data