Re: Mouse vs. touch pad

Subject: Re: Mouse vs. touch pad
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 12:21:59 -0700

Beverly Parks said:
> I don't doubt you for one minute. Of course the process of
> using the touch pad vs. the mouse uses different muscles and
> hand movements, so the mere act of doing something different
> could potentially relieve the symptoms. For a while.
> I also believe that the equipment used has little to do with
> developing the syndrome. Technique, position, and stress have
> everything to do with it.

I don't disagree. But I believe that technique and position are
affected by the equipment. When I use a mouse, my hand is tensed
because I'm grabbing the mouse. With the touchpad, my whole hand may
be tense right before I hit the pad, but my hand just doesn't spend as
much time being tensed. I had to work at getting the touchpad the
right height for this to happen though--that was made easier by
discussion with a list member who has one. I also recently changed
keyboards. I just had to hit the other keyboard (a $20 special) too
hard for comfort, though I lived with it for nearly a year.

I do think that some people are more prone to CTS than other people.
But I also think that it's the kind of thing that once you develop, no
matter what the reason, is very hard to get rid of. Changing my
equipment worked for me. If other people have stubborn symptoms that
don't respond to exercise or posture changes, this is a change I recommend.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com