[no subject]

From: Steve Boyte <KFORBESBOYT -at- CSC1 -dot- CSC -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:09:20 -0600

Today is my first as a member of this list and I must say ya'll are
fun!! There's nothing like heated discourse regarding a philisophical
topic to peak my interest. But down to business.

I'm seriously contemplating an attempt at technical writing. I need some
practical advice on the type of education, level of education, and area of
technical expertise that would make me most marketable. Also, what are
the best schools that offer advanced degrees in technical writing. I
currently hold a B.A. in geography and will receive my M.A. in literature
this fall.

Type of education?

Would it be realistic to find work as a technical writer with the
qualifications listed above or would it be better to get a degree in
technical writing?

Level of education?

Is a PhD in technical writing, or Rhetoric and Compostion
combined with an M.A. in technical writing, worth the time and effort as
far getting jobs, receiving more pay, or expanding opportunities?

Technical Expertise?

What's the most marketable technical area to combine with
a technical writing degree?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Steve