My Pet Peeve? Hogging Bandwidth!

Subject: My Pet Peeve? Hogging Bandwidth!
From: George Hayhoe <GFHayhoe -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:26:30 -0400

Fellow TECHWR-Lers--

SOAPBOX = ON

This morning's TECHWR-L digest required nearly 25 minutes to download from
America Online on the 2400 baud line available in my hometown because
somebody (actually somebody's gateway, I suspect) posted a binary version of
an earlier digest to the list. This is the second time in a week that we've
been treated to a re-posted digest.

Moreover, there continues to be a large number of unnecessarily long quotes
from previous posts to which people are responding.

I figure that reading the list today cost me more than $2 in connect time, to
say nothing of the time to actually read the list.

Please remember that lots of us don't have an employer who foots the bill for
our Net time, and even those who do shouldn't have to slog through a
re-posted digest or lengthy quotes which could be replaced by well chosen
subject lines!

I'm sure we'd all appreciate it if someone at the site responsible for
today's digest-posting (and I hope you know who you are!) would talk to your
system administrator to figure out what happened and ensure it doesn't happen
again.

SOAPBOX = OFF

Thanks. I feel MUCH better now.

--George Hayhoe (GFHayhoe -at- aol -dot- com)