Where does exit door from Tech Writing lead?

Subject: Where does exit door from Tech Writing lead?
From: Richard Collins <writejob -at- HOPF -dot- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 12:07:05 -0800

I am a technical writer approaching 26 years at the trade (with some time
out for voluntary work and an under grad degree). At the present time I
have a successful contract writing business and continue to grow as a
writer and am able to obtain long term assignments at the top of the going
rate here in Silicon Valley (which I think is 50-55 per hour for hardware
writing such as installation and service manuals, which are my bread and
butter).

I'm 55 years old, in good health and I probably can spend another 10 years
as an independent, before I retire. So, you ask, why am I looking for an
exit?

I guess the reason I am posting this inquiry is to help me answer that
question. I should not speak for everyone, but I think all of us from time
to time have the sneaking suspicion that some other work lies just beyond
the door and that this other work would be better paying. Better yet, this
mythical work might even offer more non-monetary rewards.

The question is: how do I put my talent and experience as a communicator to
work in some other way that pays as well as what I am currently doing? I
have all the organizational skills and people skills that so many years as
a technical writer have fostered. Where to I take that? How do I bank it?

I've left the list temporarily since I am going to have a summer break.
Accordingly I would appreciate direct replies and I if I get a lot of
response, I will post a summary to the list.

Thanks in advance for any advice or personal anecdotes.

Rich Collins
Write Job