Read between the lines

Subject: Read between the lines
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 00:02:09 -0700

>Nowhere in the Constitution is freedom limited to one gender or race.
>To paint the original document itself in racist terms is historical
>revisionism in the extreme.

Bunk. To imagine that twentieth century notions were built into it, just
waiting for us to discover them is revisionism.

Compared to some of the systems I document, the US system of governance
handles change very gracefully, but that flexibility is due to the
workability of its mechanisms, not the omniscience or prescience of its framers.

And like the Internet or a unix system, it depends on the basic agreement
and good will of almost all of its users. If any significant proportion of
the user base tries to push the limits or exploit logical flaws in the
underlying mechanisms, the whole thing can go down in flames. ...RM

Richard Mateosian President, Berkeley STC
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro