Re. Monitor refresh rates

Subject: Re. Monitor refresh rates
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 12:39:28 LCL

Stuart Burnfield noted he was going for a nice 17-inch monitor with a
60 Hz refresh rate. Warning: This is like buying a Cadillac and
installing the engine for a lawnmower. Any refresh rate less than 70
Hz may produce an annoying flicker; the more sensitive you are to
flicker, the higher the refresh rate you need. I get real nasty
headaches working with slow monitors; your mileage may vary.

If you must work with a really large monitor with a low refresh rate,
do one of the following:
1. Drop to a lower resolution, which usually means much faster
refresh. (You'll also be able to read your fonts and recognize your
icons.)
2. Reduce the color depth (less data going to the screen, so
potentially faster refresh rate).
3. Upgrade to a better video card that supports high refresh rates at
higher resolutions.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.