Re: Provocation? Damn straight.

Subject: Re: Provocation? Damn straight.
From: Bex <rebeccaf -at- COMPNEWS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 10:08:52 +0100

On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, D Gardner wrote:

> > Give Matt room to breathe. I've enjoyed all of his contributions to this
> > list. Even if you disagree with his opinions or ideas, you have to admit
> > that he writes extremely well. More example of good writing principles.
> >
> > If you are a little testy and just want to flame someone, flame me. I bet
> > that I'm faster than anybody on this list at hitting the "D" key. If you
> > don't believe me just load up your keyboard and meet me in the streets of
> > Dodge City (in front of the saloon :)

> I've been browsing thru this list for about a week now and NEVER have
> I seen so many people jump on someone for a comment addressed to
> someone else. If the person it was originally addressed to took

If it's sent to the list it's for anyone to answer. If it was a
private comment it shouldn't have been sent to the list. Comments aimed
at someone personally but sent to the list are the equivalent of brawling
in the street. Why do people do it? (Exhibitionism? To get back at
their parents? To expose their opponent in public? Or because
they're afraid to do it in private in case it gets out of hand and no passers
by jump in to defend them? Whatever the reason, or the correct response,
the other people on the list or on the street certainly have the right to feel
something - even if it is just that they are being used by someone who
doesn't have the nerve to fight their battles in private.

> exception to the comment, then vent your opinions. Otherwise, why
> are you all so quick to take offense at a comment not directed to
> you? That maybe wasn't even meant offensively in the first place?
> Are some of you looking that hard for POSSIBLY offensive comments to
> make an issue about? Lighten up! Not every comment that isn't
> straight as an arrow is meant offensively.

Rebecca Filardo, PA Data Design /\ /\
The Bishop's Manor, Howden / o o \ Phone: +44 (0) 1430 432480
N Humberside DN14 7BL > ^ < Fax: +44 (0) 1430 432022