if and when...

Subject: if and when...
From: Pat Madea <madea -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 16:04:56 MST

I've checked the NYT MoS, the Chicago MoS, Webster's 10th Collegiate,
Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, the Oxford American Dictionary, and a
few "writing" books trying to find the easy-to-remember-and-follow
rule of when to use "if" and when to use "when" <if?/when?> I use a
conditional clause.

I can almost get the sense of it but not enough to articulate the
difference between the two.

The following sentences,

"If a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."
"When a truck is in READY status, it is available for assignment."

convey different meanings. Or, do they?

I could use some help. (How about, "If and when a truck is ... " Just
joking.)

TIA,

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com