What to call self-diagnostic routines

Subject: What to call self-diagnostic routines
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 09:58:00 PDT

>My TC group is trying to name the diagnostics (troubleshooting) program that
> resides on our chemistry instrument. We are thinking of calling it Online
> Diagnostics, but we are not sure 'online' is correct ... (snip)

>What do you think? Is 'online' too techie (jargon)? Is 'online' too general
of >a term for a resident program?

To me, "online" suggests that the instrument before me is connected to a
larger system. In many industries systems are brought "online" and taken
"offline" when they are activated as part of a larger production or
operations process.

For a free-standing chem instrument not connected to a larger system I would
find "Online Diagnostics" somewhat cloudy--I mentally look for the "line."
(So, yes, I have trouble referring to software help files as "online help.")

I find that many software people use "online" as a substitute for
"built-in," which perhaps doesn't sound high-tech enough.

What have such routines been called on other lab instruments that your users
are familiar with? That's one place to look. If you don't have a lot of
examples in that field you might look to similar instruments in other fields.

I don't know how the user is supposed to find and start the troubleshooting
routines (and that would affect the answer) but, simpleton that I am, I tend
to look for something that says "Troubleshooting" when I want to do some.

And, I see you used that word to explain what diagnostics means. Perhaps
there's your answer.
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.