Peer Reviews -Reply

Subject: Peer Reviews -Reply
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- ROGUE -dot- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 11:06:22 -0700

Judith Leetham wrote:
>IMO having peers (other writers) review your writing is better than no
>review at all. But, having been reviewed by writers, reviewed by
>editors, and reviewing other writers let me advance a warning. Writers
>who review (self included) have an almost uncontrollable urge to rewrite
>someone else's work in the way they themselves would have written
>the information originally. It takes an almost inhuman level of self-control
>to limit comments to grammar or content inaccuracies. It is probably OK
>not to be a content expert, because your future customers probably
>aren't either.

>Most editors of my acquaintance have evolved beyond these base urges
>to rework in their own image. This may be because <I am sure> one of
>the job requirements for editor is tolerance, acceptance, and
>understanding that there is more than one way to describe a cat (notice
>the politically correct change to an idiom).

>Good luck to all writers who must review other writers
>and good luck to all writers who must be reviewed by other writers.

Where I work, the writers review each other's work (along with
the project leader, who is usually a programmer). I often find
myself having the opposite problem that Judith describes. I tend
to focus on grammar or content inaccuracies. This tendency
leaves the original writer's style intact. The problem is that
sometimes a complete re-write *is* needed. The result is text
that has correct grammar and content but does not read very well.
Have I truly done my colleague a service? Perhaps, but not as
much as I could have. To solve this problem, we often have two
writers review another's work.

On those occasions when I actually re-write someone's work, I try
to explain my reasons for doing so. Then I leave it for them to
be the final judge; they decide to accept or reject my input.

BTW, once pride is put aside, I find that reviews by my fellow
writers are extremely helpful, especially when accompanied by
well-developed explanations.

Dave Meek