Flaming sexism

Subject: Flaming sexism
From: John Renish <John -dot- Renish -at- CONNER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:43:10 PDT

Hi, all,

First, Joanna, let's spell the name right. Second, I object most strenuously
to your characterization of my response as obnoxiously sexist, unless you
define that term so broadly as to have no meaning. Third, I intended to be
more than a little sarcastic, which you apparently missed. Fourth, and most
important, I did not flame (*publicly* excoriate) Stacey. If she chooses to
post private mail to the list, I cannot be held responsible for that choice.
I have never uttered a public word critical of Stacey--I write privately
when I disagree strongly enough with somebody to take him or her on in a
significant manner.

Note that I have not attacked Joanna or any other person, nor have I used
any inflammatory language, such as "obnoxiously sexist." That's what I call
a standard of decency.

Finally, it is important that we maintain some sense of proportion *as well
as* some sensitivity. Words like sexism and racism are commonly used to mean
the beliefs, words, deeds, or very existence of "men" and "white people." I
call that insensitive, as well as inaccurate. Joanna was right about the
benignity of Geoff's comment. I believe I have demonstrated that her small
error had significant impact beyond her expectations.

Having gotten the opinions out of the way of the facts, I now withdraw from
this discussion.

John -dot- Renish -at- conner -dot- com
My statements are my own and do not represent Conner Peripherals, Inc.
Original Text