Use of indexers and indexing

Subject: Use of indexers and indexing
From: "Dana L. Cadman" <cadman -at- GDLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 08:12:39 -0400

Linda,

I do my own indexing, and sort of do it seat-of-pants method. As I write
the user's guide I keep my eye open for repeated actions, critical actions,
or steps that prevent or recover an action from an error. As each chapter is
completed I go through it and slap on an index tag. I usually end up with
three to six tags per page ofr a user's guide.

I also make sure to use noun- and verb-oriented entries. For instance,
one item might generate an entry for Inserting circles and Circles, inserting.

Well, this is my own home-brew for indexing, how do the rest of you tackle
this job?

Dana
Those who are willing to sacrifice freedom in the name of security will
have neither. - Benjaman Franklin