Comics

Subject: Comics
From: Glenn Crumpley <gcrumpley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 16:23:19 EDT

There is a series of books called "The Cartoon Guide to xxxx..." that I
always look for whenever I want a crash course in some new topic. Some
examples are: The Cartoon Guide to Economics, The Cartoon Guide to Computer
Science, The Cartoon Guide to Law, and so forth. The information is sound
and presented in a thoroughly entertaining manner. It dawned on me after
enjoying a couple of these titles that the educational system in America,
and possibly other countries, is intentionally designed to be painful
and arduous. It is designed as an obstacle course and intended to control
the number that successfully complete the course. Once I understood this,
I understood why there were not more textbooks written in a way that makes
learning more pleasant--it would wreck the class structure if everyone were
highly educated.

Well, I'm not taking up any banners for educational reform; I just quietly
look for the books that make learning fun for me.

Glenn Crumpley