Re: Manuals of Japanese Consumer Electronics Companies

Subject: Re: Manuals of Japanese Consumer Electronics Companies
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 08:19:00 -0600

Please tell me what you think about manuals from Japanese consumer
electronics companies in general. Are they any different from the
"poor-to-somewhat-below-average" manuals you get there in the States?

In a word, "No." The main difference seems to be the Japanese manuals use more
drawings and fewer words. But, by and large, they contain about the same amount
of errors. This represents an improvement over the Japanese manuals from, say
15-20 years ago, so don't take this as a knock on the product.

I think the state of consumer manuals isn't as bad as we like to pretend over
here. Yes, the manuals aren't perfect. Yes, they sometimes contain mistakes
(everyone, myself included, has a bucketful of horror stories they have
personally witnessed, and even more of the FOAF variety).

But the US is basically a Luddite society, so anything requiring minimal
competance to use will be complained about.

Has anyone purchased or heard anything about the Pioneer Car Navigation
System?

If anyone on this list gets paid enough to own one, I'd like to know what
company they work for. ;{>}

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124