Contract for Independent Writers

Subject: Contract for Independent Writers
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 19:14:29 -0700

This is multipart MIME message.

--suvhcaktkuujlgvovrwkorvisyoyyy

Hi all --

A number of people have expressed an interest in getting a copy of a
sample contract.

Here's one I've used for several years. ("Stole" many of the ideas in
it from a consulting company that I worked for before I began
freelancing.

Hope this helps.

If anyone has any changes or additions that they think would be useful,
I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

-----------------
Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

--suvhcaktkuujlgvovrwkorvisyoyyy

AGREEMENT

I. INTRODUCTION

This is an agreement in which CONSULTANT NAME agrees to develop XXXXXXXXXX for
YYYYYYY product, created by WHYNOT INDUSTRIES.

If both parties agree, CONSULTANT may create additional documentation and
training for the WHYNOT INDUSTRIES.

II. DUTIES

CONSULTANT shall create XXXXXXXXX.

The deliverables for and assumptions about this agreement are outlined in
Attachment A.
WHYNOT INDUSTRIES shall provide CONSULTANT with all the information necessary
for performing her services. All items remain the property of, and shall be
returned upon request to, WHYNOT INDUSTRIES.

III. Termination

WHYNOT INDUSTRIES shall review work submitted by CONSULTANT within 72 hours. If
WHYNOT INDUSTRIES is dissatisfied with the quality of the work, WHYNOT
INDUSTRIES shall notify CONSULTANT and arrange a conference with CONSULTANT so
that the problems can be
corrected. If the problems cannot be corrected to WHYNOT INDUSTRIES's
satisfaction, both parties agree that CONSULTANT shall stop providing services
and shall accept as payment in full for her services money owed for work
accepted up to the date of writ
ten notice of termination. WHYNOT INDUSTRIES may then use CONSULTANT's work in
any way it sees fit.

If WHYNOT INDUSTRIES does not notify CONSULTANT within 96 hours, the work shall
be deemed accepted.

IV. PAYMENT

WHYNOT INDUSTRIES shall pay CONSULTANT as per the payment clauses set out in
Attachment A.

V. OWNERSHIP

Any document produced by CONSULTANT is a work for hire. WHYNOT INDUSTRIES shall
be considered sole owner of all rights to the document and has the right to
publish and copyright the document in its name.

WHYNOT INDUSTRIES has the right to change, edit, and add to the document at any
time, in any way it sees fit.

CONSULTANT may add a statement of authorship to the materials produced under
this agreement, in a location agreed to by WHYNOT INDUSTRIES.

VI. TRADE SECRETS

CONSULTANT agrees to hold confidential all trade secrets of WHYNOT INDUSTRIES
and all matters relating to WHYNOT INDUSTRIES's systems, this agreement, and
WHYNOT INDUSTRIES's business. CONSULTANT shall sign a nondisclosure agreement,
if requested by WHYN
OT INDUSTRIES.

VII. GENERAL PROVISIONS

A. Modifications to this agreement must be in writing and signed by both
parties.

B. Neither party may assign this agreement without the consent of the other.

(signed)
(date)

(signed)
(date)

--suvhcaktkuujlgvovrwkorvisyoyyy

ATTACHMENT A

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

CONSULTANT designs and authors an on-line help file (including keywords) for
WHYNOT INDUSTRIES's Utility Network Control.

AUDIENCE

CONSULTANT makes the following assumptions about users:

* Users have at least seven fingers on each hand.

* Users may or may not have experience picking their noses.

CONSULTANT will prepare a detailed analysis of the users during the design phase
of the project.

DEVELOPMENT PROCESS

(Here I provide a high-level outline of my process for this project. )

DELIVERABLES

(Here I list and *very* generally describe each of the deliverables in the
project.)

CONSULTANT will meet with WHYNOT INDUSTRIES personnel at WHYNOT INDUSTRIES's
office in CLIENT'S CITY. CONSULTANT performS other work at her office in MY
CITY.

COSTS

(Here I list my hourly rate or fixed bid, plus any expenses for which I want to
be re-imbursed.

PAYMENT SCHEDULE

PAYMENT TERMS

Add 1.5% per month prorated per day to any invoice paid past the due date. Time
required for collection of past due invoices will be billed at twice the hourly
rate.

--suvhcaktkuujlgvovrwkorvisyoyyy--