FW: Sentence structure

Subject: FW: Sentence structure
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 17:30:00 -0500

----------
From: Price, Becca
To: Delaney, Misti
Cc: Tara Barber
Subject: RE: Sentence structure
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 1995 4:28PM

This is actually an area of debate where I work, too.

I tend to use headers when possible, creating subheaders where I could.
When not appropriate, I try to do the second version, putting the need or
condition as a final clause. YMMV.

TO DRIVE A CAR

Note: Before driving a car, go to the department of transportation and apply
for a driver's license.

1. Put the key in the ignition and turn it clockwise (away from you) to
start the engine.

-becca
----------
From: Delaney, Misti
To: Price, Becca
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 1995 4:12PM

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: internet!VM1.ucc.okstate.edu!TECHWR-L (Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Sentence structure
Date: Wednesday, June 21, 1995 12:43PM

When you are giving an instruction in your documentation, do you first
give the instruction, then identify the need or condition, or do you
identify the need or condition first and follow it with the instruction?

For example, which would you more likely write:

A. To drive a car, first go to the department of transportation and apply
for a driver's license.
B. Go to the department of transportation and apply for a driver's
license before driving a car.

C. To access the reports database, exit the personnel screen and return
to the main menu.
D. Exit the personnel screen and return to the main menu before accessing
the reports database.

--km