Cause and Effect

Subject: Cause and Effect
From: Barry West <Barry_West -dot- S2K -at- S2KEXT -dot- S2K -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 09:12:23 EDT

Bill Burns said:

<snip>I'd argue that for some audiences, these trivial details aren't at all
>trivial. <snip>

I would even take this a step further. Even for experienced users, given the
reading habits of some people, if your condition potentially impacts health and
safety or equipment integrity, you always, always, always, always, state the
result of the action before you state the action. And I don't care how many
warnings or cautions you have surrounding the step. Since you essentially have
to write the same sentence anyway, what could possibly be the argument against
beginning the step with the conditional phrase or clause? Please do not say to
me that it's a matter of style.

Barry_West -dot- S2K -at- s2kext -dot- s2k -dot- com