Need Work from a Distance...

Subject: Need Work from a Distance...
From: "Brian J. Dooley" <Brian_Dooley -at- EQUINOX -dot- GEN -dot- NZ>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 14:26:54 GMT

Need Work From a Distance....
Brian J. Dooley

I am interested in work from a distance, being "geographically
challenged," as a resident of Christchurch, New Zealand. I have
full access to Compuserve and the Internet, and have fax capability,
as well as capability to transfer data via tape or via CD-ROM.

What I do....
I am a writer of technical manuals and reports, and a producer of
online documents and complete multimedia projects. I have experience
in programming, in software analysis, and in magazine article writing
and placement. I am author of six books for the US mass market
(four on computer software, one on airplanes, and one on the Civil
War). I am president and founder of the New Zealand chapter of the
Society for Technical Communication (STC). Oh yes...I am an American,
and therefore familiar with US standards.

What you get...
Save some money. AND get the best!!

What I will undertake...
I will produce, rewrite, or convert manuals for computer systems,
software, or consumer electronics products. I will review software
for publication, or write analytical articles regarding computer
software. I will perform conversions of existing manuals to online
formats, HGML, SGML, or multimedia. I will write training materials,
tutorials, presentations, or textbooks.

For more information...
My Winhelp resume is available on Compuserve in the Pacific Vendors
Forum (GO KIWI), NZ SEA library. A plain ASCII version follows:

BRIAN J. DOOLEY
45 Aylesford St.
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND
Phone: (64) (3) 385-1367
Mobile: (25) 344-547
Email: Brian_Dooley -at- equinox -dot- gen -dot- nz

October 1994 to Present
Proprietor, Brian J. Dooley Technical Writing, Christchurch, New
Zealand. Freelance and contract technical writing for a wide
variety of clients in New Zealand. Products include manuals,
online documents, and multimedia items for the computer and
consumer electronics industries.

January 1994 to Present
Partner, Whakapapa Software, Christchurch, New Zealand. Creating
multimedia titles for US software company clients. Developed an
idea, proposal and prototype for a major product for Microprose
Corp. Project was contracted and an alpha version was released.
A complete multimedia demo was also developed for the U.S.
Consumer Electronics Show, and run at the Microprose booth there.
Development involved coordination of efforts from graphics design
agencies, video producers, and sound studios. I also did all
writing, including spoken scripts, plus planning andsome
programming. The project is still in development.

January 1991 to Present.
Author. Wrote six books for the US mass market: "Warriors for
the Working Day" (US Civil War), "Learn Windows in a Day,"
"Desktop Publishing with WordPerfect for Windows, "Learn OS/2 in
a Day," "The Complete Guide to Single Engine Cessnas" (with Joe
Christy) and "Learn PowerPoint in a Day." Won an STC award for a
textbook.

January 1993 to September 1994
Senior Technical Writer , Cardinal Professional Services (Aoraki
Cop.) Christchurch, New Zealand. Creating manuals for the LINC
mainframe database product as well as for external clients'
products. Mission is "to bring advanced technical writing to New
Zealand."

President and founder, New Zealand chapter of the Society for
Technical Communication.

May 1989 to December 1992
Senior Product Information Analyst, Unisys Corp., Flemington, NJ.
Responsible for creating manuals for SNA data communications
software. Also created a public relations oeration within the
product information group for publishing articles in the press.

January 1988 to May 1989
Senior Technical Writer, Okidata, Mt. Laurel, NJ. Created
manuals for printers, served as technical adviser on modem
manuals, automated procedues, created scanned image database in
Pascal. Created one manual entirely by desktop publishing; won an
STC award for a printer manual.

Software Developer (independent, part time). Created graphics
slideshow program (FLICKER) in Pascal; program selectedby PC
WORLD magazine as best shareware product of its type. Program
also received favorable review in COMPUTE PC and PC WEEK.

September 1983 to January 1988
Senior Associate Editor, Datapro Research Corp., Delran, NJ
(McGrawHill). Primary editor of Datapro Management of
Microcomputer Systems and Datapro Management of Office Automation
binder reference services, consisting of reprints of technical
and managerial articles plus original material. Task also
included writing articles for the newsletters covering all areas
of data processing (both echnical and managerial).

Technical Consultant, Ketron Corp., Wayne, PA (part time).
Rewrote mainframe software manuals translated literally from the
Japanese. Task included checking technical accuracy and insuring
readability.

September 1980 to Septemer 1983
Freelance Writer. Business, trade, financial and technical
journalism, promotional writing and preparation of educational
materials. (Fulltime selfemployment.)

September 1977 to August 1980
Managing Editor, InPlant Reproductions (North Amercan
Publishing Co., Philadelphia, PA). Writing, editing, copy
preparation for this national magazine serving inhouse printing
and communications managers. Promoted from Assistant Editor,
Pickin' Magazine, a national music magazine.

September 1976 to June 1977
Theatre Manager. Worcester Foothills Theatre Co. (Worcester, MA).
Teacher, English Literature and Journalism, parttime at Notre
Dame Academy.

Education:
B.A. English , McGill University in Montreal, 1976, cum laude.
Allbutthesis at Annenberg School of Communications (University
f Pennsylvania) for M.A. Communications (1983). Fulltime
student (on scholarship) from September 1980 to May, 1982.

Languages:
Foreign: Portuguese, some French. Programming: Basic, Pascal,
Fortran, C; some Cobol and 8088 (IBM PC) Assembler, VisualBasic,
Visual C++.

Systems:
Familiar with IBM PC hardware and software, to basic level (build
my own systems). Familiar with Unisys CTOS workstation systems.
Some familiarity with Macintosh and UNIX. Exposure to IBM
AS/400, Unisys A Series and V Series Experience with major data
communications protocols including OSI and SNA.

Software:
Experience with all major PC word processing systems (as a user
and as a software analyst). Experience with all major PC
spreadsheets, graphics programs, and most office applications.
Experience with Pagemaker, for document design, and SGML
(Author/Editor and tools) for document control and production.
Experience with Microsoft multimedia tools, including Multimedia
Viewer, Help, and Video for Windows (including Help file macros
and internal structures). Experience with Macromedia Director.
Programming experience.

Personal:
Have produced and hosted a regularly scheduled radio program onpoetry (5
years, WXPNFM, Philadelphia), owned a Cessna airplane
and hold a private pilot's license, am a certified scuba diver.
Enjoy crosscountry skiing, guitar playing, and computer games.
Awards:
Two achievement awards from the Society for TechnicalCommunication (STC) for
manuals and books.

Associations:
Member of the Society for Technical Communication, Canterbury
Aero Club, IBM Independent Vendor League, New Zealand Software
Exporters' Association (NZSEA), Association of Scientific and
Technical Communicators (ASTC).

--
***** BRIAN J. DOOLEY ***** 45 Aylesford St., Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND
email: Brian_Dooley -at- equinox -dot- gen -dot- nz CompuServe: 75146,3212