Re: Using "things" in prose

Subject: Re: Using "things" in prose
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 14:17:59 -0700

The following is from Barbara:

We all love getting our sacred prose edited.
I'm currently being edited, and my editor changed:

> You are ready to move mail messages if you have:
> - Created ....
> - Moved ...

> When you have done the following things, you are ready to move
> mail messages:
> - Created ...
> - Moved ...

> I have a THING against using THINGS in my prose.

> What's your opinion?

Barbara
barbara -at- ejv -dot- com
The following is from me:

I have a thing about colons after verbs and prepositions. <g> Check good old
_The Elements of Style_ and others on this. You might say, "You are ready to
move mail messages after you have done the following:" Of course, this is the
same as your editor's sentence with the second part up front and without
"things." if you can convince your editor to delete "things," both of you
might be happy. Good luck.

lfc -at- sol -dot- chinalake -dot- navy -dot- mil