Re. Doing online docs and printed books simultaneously

Subject: Re. Doing online docs and printed books simultaneously
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 15:23:41 LCL

Let's start with a standard, well-accepted premise: The online medium
and the printed medium are sufficiently different that you must design
your information differently for both, resulting in a fair bit of
duplicated effort. For example: a typical 7X9 inch user manual won't
fit well on a typical small computer screen, so the page layout must
differ; fine graphic details are lost at 72 dpi (computer screen)
resolution, so graphics must differ; blind references such as "see
above" don't work online, although they can work well on paper; and so
on, for at least several pages.

Now, here's the kicker: Let's assume that you start designing your
information for an online version, and design it so all your text is
nicely chunked to work well inside a 3.5 X 4.5 inch box. Your text is
so concise the readers think that it's a self-decompressing file when
it expands into their minds. Your graphics are distilled down so that
they don't rely on details smaller than 1/72nd of an inch, and work
brilliantly at this low resolution. And so on, for the several pages
referred to in the previous paragraph. In short, you've produced a
_great_ online doc.

It occurs to me that this sounds an awful lot like the prescription
for success in print too, not so? By coincidence (hah!), two of your
3.5 X 4.5 boxes will fit on a 7 X 9 page... the same size as your
typical printed manual.

So why can't you simply reproduce the online layout, two per printed
page, and let this become your printed manual? You'd have to make some
important changes, such as substituting tables of contents for
on-screen hypertext menus, _good_ indexes for online search functions,
etc., but the information and its presentation should still work just
fine. Now I'm certainly, playing devil's advocate here, because I'm
aware of several stumbling blocks, but it seems to me that you could
plan around these. You could certainly do better designing entirely
separate versions that specifically take advantage of the strengths of
each medium, but here's my question: could you produce a satisfactory
printed manual by starting from a well-designed online version? Let
the debate begin!

[Note: to keep the debate focused, let's not invoke SGML: SGML
represents _how_ you'd mark up your text, not whether you could design
a single version of the text and graphics that would work well in both
media.]

--Geoff Hart =#8^{)} <--- who knows what evil lurks in
the men of harts? My shadow knows.
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of
our reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.