Re: Using "things" in prose

Subject: Re: Using "things" in prose
From: Nora Merhar <MERHAR -at- ALENA -dot- BITNET>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 12:00:35 CDT

Barbara:

It's my understanding from reading various grammar books that, while a colon
should be used to introduce a list, it shouldn't be used after an incomplete
sentence. After all, you wouldn't set up a sentence to read "You are ready to
move mail messages if you have: created, moved, eaten lunch, etc." The correct
way would be to leave the colon out. So your editor was correct in making the
introductory text a complete sentence.

However, I agree with you that it's best to avoid "things". I would choose to
do one of the following:

You are ready to move mail messages if you have

- Created,
- Moved,
- Eaten lunch, and
- Started your PC.
OR

You are ready to move mail messages when you have done (finished, completed)
the following (tasks):

- Created ...
- Moved ...

OR precede the task with a list requirements (I often use a "Before You Begin"
section).

Hope this helps!

Nora
merhar -at- edsvcs -dot- switch -dot- rockwell -dot- com