Re: Contract Work or No Contract Work?

Subject: Re: Contract Work or No Contract Work?
From: Stuart Reynolds <stuartr -at- FIRSTGRAPHICS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 21:59:02 -0700

>> Not necessarily, but it is less effort than marketing yourself.

I'd second that Karen.. In all the years I've been "doing it myself" I have
found, however, that you have to "sit down with yourdelf" and solidify the
commitment to make it work. Make no mistake Rose, it takes commitment (all
beit to yourself which can be harder than to a company as there is only
yourslef to answer to) .

>I recently changed careers, and I found that agencies wouldn't touch
>me. I'm too hard to categorize, so it's not easy for them to sell me
>to clients. All the jobs I've gotten have been through my own
>networking.

>I like the variety of contracting *a lot*. And I like working partly
>at home and partly on site.

Ya, I too like what I consider the benefits, of my own employment. You have
the flexibility to do almost what you want, when you want. All you have to
do, is make sure that your work quality doesn't sliip and ya meet yer
deadlines. Sound seasy, yes, but when you get a contiguous week of sun, it
CAN be difficult. :)

Try a bit of both anyways, Rose. Ya don't have to commit yerself to one and
not the other. Get out to a few agencies and also market yourslef. Don't
try and take connections that you make through the agency though. If that
client comes to you, is one thing, but you shouldn't really approach the
client of the agency. Stepping on toes can be fatal to your rep. I'd say
go-for-it. Sit down, make a plan (almost a business plan) and work the
plan. You'll never know if it is for you, if ya don't try it.

Stui
------=| First Impression Graphics |=------
Yes these are my own thoughts and/or
opinions.. Why the hell do I need to have
this disclaimer anyways?!?!?!?! It's my
opinion and everyone's entitled to it.
If you don't like it, then don't read it!
My employer backs me up on this as
I am one and the same person.