Re: MA happening for TW's!

Subject: Re: MA happening for TW's!
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 09:56:01 -0400

Patrick O'Connell asked:
> No offense intended to Massacheussetians (sp?), but I'm trying to figure
> out what attracts high-tech industry to this particular state.

One word: schools.

In the Boston area, you have MIT and Harvard. MIT in particular is a
breeding ground for high-tech startups.

Yes, the taxes are high, both income and sales-wise. The local governments
are slowly waking up to the fact that the taxes are driving businesses
away, and are doing something about it. Tax deal-making with businesses
is commonplace (and upsetting to local residents who think it's unfair).

I contend that New England is a nice place to live. If you are in the
Boston area, you have:

ocean (Cape Cod, Rhode Island)
mountains (Vermont's Green Mountains and New Hampshire's White,
along with the Berkshires in Mass and New York)
quaint New England towns (New Hampshire, Maine, and Ben & Jerry's Vermont
are all close by, and rural Mass, Rhode Island and Connecticut are nice,
too)
several beautiful and cosmopolitan cities (Boston, Providence, New York)
all within a few hours drive

As an outdoor enthusiast, I
can attest to the fact that the bicycling is excellent, and when we
don't have too much ice, the cross country skiing is very good, too.
(The '93-'94 winter was a BLAST.) The alpine skiing can't compare with
Colorado, but it still ain't bad.

Am I hiring? You bet ;-)

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200