Re: ONLINE DOC BUT NO PAPER

Subject: Re: ONLINE DOC BUT NO PAPER
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 01:24:19 EDT

On Tue, 13 Jun 1995 07:51:50 -0500 you wrote:

>Does anyone know of any definiative study that provides conclusions for the
>need of both on-line and paper documentation? I have a programmer here who
>says he does not want any paper manuals just on-line help.

Has it occured to your programmer that the user may, at the very least, need
installation instruction for the package to even GET TO the online
documentation?

Now personally, I like having printed docs for bathroom reading (beats
re-reading the Reader's Digest for the umpteenth time), and in some cases find
it far more convenient.

Remember, too, that not everyone using this software will be using a 486dx2/66
with 16MB RAM, a 9ms drive and a nice accelerated video card at 1024x768 or
better (or will they?). Pulling up online docs can, at times, be time
consuming and tedious. I used to run Windows on my 1MB 286/16 with 20ms 50MB
HD (pretty scary, I know) and just running most apps, even small ones, was a
chore... forget about firing up an online doc and waiting for it to draw, bit
by bit (no pun intended :).

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446