Re: ON-LINE DOX BUT NO PAPER

Subject: Re: ON-LINE DOX BUT NO PAPER
From: "Delaney, Misti" <ncr02!ncr02!mdelaney -at- UCS01 -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 15:04:00 -0400

Phil,

This is tangential to your question, but with the newer front ends to the
windows help developer (RoboHelp and [especially] Doc2Help) there is far
less duplication of effort than there once was in creating both paper and
on-line dox. My rule of thumb is to add a week and a half per 50 pages to
put my paper documents on-line if they are developed in Doc2Help to begin
with.

Misti
mta -at- cyberspace -dot- org
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: internet!VM1.ucc.okstate.edu!TECHWR-L (Multiple recipients of list
Subject: ONLINE DOC BUT NO PAPER
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 1995 7:51AM

Does anyone know of any definiative study that provides conclusions for the
need of both on-line and paper documentation? I have a programmer here who
says he does not want any paper manuals just on-line help.

Yes, yes, the developer can print a particular topic if desired. But I am
talking about an honest to goodness paper document. I know that different
types
of learners exist in the world and am interested in knowing if others like
yourselves have come upon any research that indicates a residual need for a
book. (Yes I know the obvious reasons like you can't read the on-line in the
bathroom or on the plane (maybe with a laptop), but going to totally on-line
without a book to back it up.

The developer sees a book as a duplication of work. While my experience with
both types says a duplication of effort exists, I would think our users
would
dictate the needs rather than a developer (read manager) who doesn't like to
read books and relies upon the on-line exclusively.

In case you are interested, the development environment will be MS/Windows
and
use RoboHelp as the vehicle for creating the on-line help.

You comments are appreciated.

regards

philh -at- shared -dot- com
philip j hellerman