Another horrible example

Subject: Another horrible example
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 10:13:21 -0700

> "The PRECISION 386 III Mother Board is a 386-based IBM PC/AT<tm> compatible
> system board. It is specially use the OPTI HiD/386 AT CHIPSET, the HiD/386
> Chipset consists of the 82C381-B and 82C382-B. Together, they are designed to
> implement high performance, highly integrated PRECISIONS 386 AT personal
> computer running 25MHz."

This is obviously not written by a native English speaker, but it's
perfectly comprehensible:

The PRECISIONS 386 III motherboard uses the OPTI HiD/386 chipset, consisting
of the 82C381-B and 82C382-B, to implement the highly integrated,
high-performance, 386-based, IBM PC/AT-compatible PRECISIONS 386 personal
computer running at 25 MHz.

You could spread this out with bullets and white space, and the information
would be a lot more accessible, but it's all there in the original form.

The original poster, presumably a native speaker of English, said he found
this turgid prose "laying about." That's perfectly comprehensible too, and
it sounds at least as bad to me. Is the pot calling the kettle scorched? ...RM

Richard Mateosian VP, STC Berkeley Chapter
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro