Re: to show samples or not??

Subject: Re: to show samples or not??
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:59:01 -0700

Timothy Schablin <timothy -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM> wrote:

>Most people I talk to say the most important item when giving
?presentions is to show samples of your work.

>I just read a book about freelance writing, the author suggest NOT
>showing any samples. He claims clients aren't interested in you boring
>them with your preious work.

>What are your comments on this. I would think showing samples would be
>very important.

I always take samples with me, but I don't always show them and I never
*leave* them.

I ALWAYS TAKE SAMPLES WITH ME...

Not everyone wants to see the samples, but if they do -- and if I don't
have them at hand -- then *I* look unprepared.

I DON'T ALWAYS SHOW THEM...

In order of importance, and depending on the client/employer, samples
are --

1. Reassurance by the pound

"Oh I see, you've done this before," or "Somebody else took a
chance on you; I'm not the first. So maybe it's a little less of a
chance.

2. Something to do while they get to know you.

What interviewers want most of all is to know what it will be like
to work with you. Samples don't give them any idea. But they may
give the two of you something to do while the interviewer is
finding out.

3. A way to evaluate your competency

Seems clear enough.

When an interviewer *does* look seriously at my samples, I try to
discover what he/she is thinking. Often people need help visualizing
what my work would be like in their context.

I NEVER LEAVE THEM...

I just tell them that the sample is proprietary and while I have the
company's permission to show the material, I cannot leave it with them.

So far, everyone has respected that. I think they appreciate knowing
that I will do the same with materials produced for them.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com