Re: Submitted as evidence

Subject: Re: Submitted as evidence
From: douglas_thayer <douglas_thayer -at- SMTPLINK -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:55:09 LCL

Subject: Submitted as evidence
Author: @TWNMOE10.Edu.TW:TECHWR-L -at- OSUVM1 -dot- BITNET at smtplink-syscom
Date: 6/8/95 2:07 AM

2. I believe the gentleman who asserted something like "Of course, I am the
ultimate in politically incorrect, I'm a conservative Christian" dangled the
bait and invited the response received ("Of course, I never did understand
conservative Christians"). By introducing his religious beliefs into a
political discussion he asked for comment on them--and the comment was very
mild indeed.

Consider the case if someone said "Of course, I am the ultimate in poltical
incorrectness, I am a conservative Republican." Would it be considered a
putdown if someone replied "Of course, I never did understand conservative
Republicans"? I think not--so why is it a putdown for Christians?

A lot of religious people are trying to have it both ways these days--using
their beliefs as the basis for political argument and then hollering about
anti-religious discrimination when those same beliefs are challenged and
disputed. This is an attempt to limit debate and silence opposing
views--precisely the charge against the "PC" types.
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.