Re: Communicator or Writer? or Who am us, anyway?

Subject: Re: Communicator or Writer? or Who am us, anyway?
From: Mary Wise/MANUGISTICS <manu!manu -dot- com!Mary_Wise -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 15:07:48 EDT

I tend to call myself a technical communicator. This came about when I was
transferring positions within my company, from documentation to instructional
design. The interviewer asked me what I thought the differences were between
documentation and training. After running through the differences, I then
said, "But really, you know, it's all technical communication."

I do a lot more than technical writing. I plan, organize, design, edit,
illustrate, and deliver training courses for my company's software. I work
with the documentation team to ensure that our books are in sync, that we
aren't duplicating information needlessly, and that we're using a consistent
editorial style. So, in my mind, I'm communicating, I'm not only writing.

However, I've also been known to tailor my title to my audience...from
Technical Communicator to Technical Writer to Instructional Desiger to "I write
computer books" to "I write computer classes" to "Former clown."

Regards,
Mary Wise
Mary_Wise -at- manu -dot- com

"See in the next world, and don't be late!"