Time with Engineers (was What We Do)

Subject: Time with Engineers (was What We Do)
From: Rose Norman <normanr -at- EMAIL -dot- UAH -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:43:33 -0500

I've been forwarding your replies about justifying what we do to my
friend whose question I originally asked. She'd like me to refine the
question to ask about how software documentation writers get the technical
information they need from engineers. Apparently the problem on her current
job is that the manager is used to a situation where software engieeers have
taken over the writing and spend ZERO time talking with engineers about the
documentation. In her experience, writers need to get technical information
from software engineers involved in the product quite often, but here there is
much resentment from management about "wasting" engei
engineers' time in this way.

So the question is this: how much time do you spend getting information from
engineers (e.g., how many hours a week) in order to write and maintain a
technical document? Also, how do you get this information--on the phone, in
writing, in regularly scheduled meetings, in casual office time? etc.

Rose Norman
NormanR -at- email -dot- uah -dot- edu