It's not illiteracy, but...

Subject: It's not illiteracy, but...
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 12:13:00 -0600

Perhaps it's immetaphoracy.

InfoWorld, 5 June 95, story by Ilan Greenberg:

"...Microsoft Corp. is ready to pull out its hold cards ..."

Does this kind of thing irritate anyone else here as much as it does me? The
metaphor is "hole cards" from the ancient and venerable game of Stud Poker,
where some (but not all) cards are dealt face down, kept "in the hole," to be
displayed only after the betting is over. "Hold" cards indeed!

This is not the only time I've seen metaphors mangled in this particular
publication, and not the only metaphor which I've seen mangled in *any*
publication. But it seems to be more and more common for a writer to be
completely clueless about the metaphor he's using, and not let that ignorance
stop him from using the metaphor! And the editors permit it!

What's going on here? Doesn't anyone care about the richness of metaphors our
language permits? I mean, it's not like this is some foreign language expression
which we've taken to using. This is Poker, people, the almost uniquely American
card game! What's next, a reference to One-eyed yaks??

Thanks. I feel better now.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124