Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet

Subject: Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:44:18 -0800

At 8:37 PM 6/2/95, Karen Kay wrote:
>John Renish said:
>> It's the International Phonetic Alphabet, not just the U.S. military's.

>Are you sure that's what it's called??? I think of the IPA as being
>the symbols that linguists use to represent sounds, so you can
>transcribe a language you've never heard before and have no idea how
>to spell.

>Karen
> karenk -at- netcom -dot- com
==========
Karen, I think the term "international" comes from the fact that the PA was
adopted by the International Civial Aeronautics Organization (ICAO) as the
PA to be used for all aviation communications. (English is the ICAO
standard language).

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
(510) 645-3469 (W) (510) 944-9814 (H)
santa -at- tfs -dot- com (W) santacroce -at- aol -dot- com (H)

"An idiot with a computer is a better, faster idiot!"