Re: Value of Techwriters

Subject: Re: Value of Techwriters
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 09:06:02 -0400

David Demyan wrote:

>2) I for one would never want to approach document development
>(notice how the writing aspect is minimized by this phase name)
>as a typical systems engineering project. While most project
>development efforts are highly disciplined and we can learn a
>lot from their application, the work is different. Technical
>Writing is vastly different from engineering (or software
>development).

>I believe we minimize our work if we try to emulate our esteemed
>engineer brothers and sisters. I got into this profession
>for the precise reason that I am distinct (and wish to be
>regarded as distinctly different) from one who practices
>an engineering discipline.

I am an engineer by training, and a technical writer by choice. Since I work
as an independent contractor, I am responsible for my own project management
as well as the writing-related activities. I approach every project as if it
were an engineering project.

Project management is project management. The detail of what you manage may
change, but the principles hold true. I spent years working for an
engineering and construction firm, learning management skills. They are the
most portable part of my arsenal.

I work on many different types of documents: software manuals, refinery
design specifications, startup and shutdown procedures, proposals - the list
continues. The one thing all of these different projects, for different
clients, have in common is the project management methodology I have
developed over the years. And that methodology is almost identical to what I
would use if I were to once again manage an engineering project.

Yes, our product is different from that of an engineer. But the steps we
take to produce that product are very, very similar...

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com