Technical writer seeks off-site work

Subject: Technical writer seeks off-site work
From: Gary Conroy <gazza -at- ITL -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 09:26:27 GMT

SUMMARY
-------

Skilled technical author/writer requires contract work (based at home,
communication through the Internet, (snail) mail, fax and phone).

WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I WANT?
------------------------------

I am an author with over six years of experience in many areas of
technical writing, including: systems documentation, training guides,
service documentation, user reference manuals and on-line help
systems. My most recent project is designing a suite of documents for
a new laboratory diagnostic system that covers, amongst other things:
software and hardware user manuals, a service manual, an interactive
training application and on-line help systems. As well as writing
many of these documents, I will be proof-reading and editing others
and am responsible for their overall design (including much of the
graphical content).

I m currently looking for work to supplement, and even supplant my
current full-time (40 hour/week) job. Unfortunately, because of my
personal situation (young family, lovely bit of the world), I can only
consider positions that allow me to work from home (down the phone
line); however, I am prepared to make field trips where necessary.

SKILL SUMMARY
-------------

o BACKGROUND: computers and science. Degree-level education
(BSc Science at the Dundee Institute of Technology, Scotland).

o CAREER HISTORY: over six years as a full-time technical
author with three different organisations.

o WRITING SKILLS: good. I have a simple, precise and
unambiguous style which is leavened with just the right amount
of creativity. Technical communications qualification.

o WORD PROCESSING/DTP: very familiar with Word (2 and 6) and
have some experience with other word-processing and desktop
publishing applications (WordPerfect, Ventura, Quark Express).

o ON-LINE MANUALS: I have written several on-line help systems
for Windows using a help authoring package (called HDK).
Currently using Multimedia Toolbook to develop an interactive
training "manual".

o GRAPHICAL SKILLS: familiarity with CorelDraw, PowerPoint,
and various other graphical tools (vector and bitmap).

o PROJECT CONTROL SKILLS: very good analysis of written
material and structured project management skills.

o COMPUTING ENVIRONMENT: predominantly Windows, but also DOS,
VMS, UNIX and other, proprietary, systems.

o I am more than willing to pick up new techniques and am a
rapid learner, especially in my field of competence.

WHERE AM I? WHO AM I?
----------------------

I am based in Guernsey, a small island just off the French coast
which, although British, is politically and economically independent.
I live with my partner, Carol, who works as a currency dealer and my
son Callum (one year old: I still remember when going to bed at 10
was an "early night"). I m 32 years old and have a passion for
"modern" music (from Aphex Twin through Oasis to Underworld), a minor
fitness obsession and a stubborn attachment to Oldham Athletic
football club.

For the more formally minded, a Resume of my recent career follows.

----------
----------
----------

--------------------------------
--------------------------------
R E S U M E
--------------------------------
--------------------------------

P E R S O N A L I N F O R M A T I O N
---------------------------------------

Age: 33
Date of birth: 17/04/62
E-Mail: gazza -at- itl -dot- net (Home)

R E C E N T W O R K E X P E R I E N C E

Technical Author: Nov. 91 - Date

Dynatech Medical Products Ltd,
(Manufacturer of laboratory diagnostic equipment)
St Peter Port, Guernsey,
Channel Islands, Britain

Major writing projects:

o Service manuals: for diagnostic laboratory equipment.
o User manuals: for software packages (firmware and
PC applications).
o Developing on-line help systems and manuals for
Windows applications.
o Creating a multimedia application for distribution on
CD-ROM
o Helping to develop design procedures for ISO
9000 certification.
o Designing presentations for Dynatech Corporation.

Technical Author: Dec. 90 - Nov. 91

InterEurope Ltd,
(Technical writing contract agency)
Wokingham, Berkshire,
England

Major writing projects:

o User manuals: for a suite of software database
packages.
o Systems documentation: for a military digital data
network.

Technical Author: Dec. 88 - Dec. 90

EASAMS Ltd,
(Defence contractor)
Frimley, Surrey,
England

Major writing projects:

o Systems documentation: for military avionics
systems.
o An introductory guide to the VAX/VMS operating
system.

I also had some small involvement with the support and
development of software to aid the documentation team (using
FORTRAN, Pascal, VMS/DCL).

E D U C A T I O N
-----------------

Writing Software Support Documentation: Dec 87 - Aug 88

Open learning course with Eston Ltd, Derby, England

City and Guilds: Technical Communication Techniques

Provides the skills and background for a career in
technical writing, includes the theory and practice of:

o Project management.
o Editing and proof-reading.
o Legal and administrative responsibilities.
o Use of graphics.
o Electronic publishing (including DTP).
o Document design.
o Print technology.
o Information research.
o Writing techniques.

Students are assessed at the end of the course and, if of
an acceptable standard, receive a diploma. I (also) sat
the more formal qualification (the City & Guilds exam)
in May 89.

BSc Science (Computer Studies/Biology)

Dundee Institute of Technology: Sept. 83 - May 86
Dundee, Tayside, Scotland

Major subjects: Computer Studies and Biology.

o Computer Studies covered: software engineering,
compiler design, simulation.
o Biology covered: animal behaviour, ecology,
biochemistry, microbiology, animal and plant
physiology.
o Additional subjects: physics, statistics,
computational methods.

Gary Conroy, Technical Author
Guernsey, Channel Islands, Great Britain
gazza -at- itl -dot- net