Re: Citing research sources

Subject: Re: Citing research sources
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 09:43:36 CDT

> This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if there is a
> reference book that documents the various customs and requirements for
> citing research sources, such as personal interviews, casual
> conversations, or, more specifically, electronic sources such as internet
> postings and e-mail. What are the customary ways to reference electronic
> sources? What are your speculations or hunches? You can answer
> personally if you wish...thanks!

> "Ron Sering"

There are several style guides that address these issues. The most popular are
the Chicago Manual of Style (published by the U of Chicago Press and describing
their own publishing standards), the MLA Style Manual (published by the Modern
Language Association and used--I think--by most academics in language-related
humanities) and the AP Style Guide (published by the Associated Press and used
primarily in journalism and public relations writing).

Having said all that, I'm not sure how up-to-the-minute these guides are, so I
don't know if the latest editions address e-mail citations.

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA