FWIW--Hypertext

Subject: FWIW--Hypertext
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 08:16:41 -0500

Just saw this and thought it interesting. Anyone seen
the full article? Anything else good? Who is Howard
Strauss?
Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu

HYPERTEXT BOWLS OF SPAGHETTI
Howard Strauss of Princeton University thinks WWW
content designers need to relearn some old lessons of
scholarship: "In the past we learned how to
use footnotes, tables of contents, and indexes
effectively, but in our electronic formats we seem to
have forgotten all that. We use too many
hypertext links, use them where they make no sense,
ignore the difference between footnotes and tables of
contents, build links to bizarre and unexpected places,
ignore standard ways of linking, and confuse, rather
than enlighten, with hypertext structures that make
bowls of spaghetti seem like models of good
organization." (Edutech Report, May'95, p.1)