Plenty of blame to go around . . .

Subject: Plenty of blame to go around . . .
From: "Michael T. Calvert" <U30373 -at- UICVM -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 09:28:44 CDT

I partly agree with Hal Snyder when he says:

. . . it has been my experience that two
students, sitting in the same class, receiving the same instruction, often
receive different grades (which is a polite way of saying that some students
learn better than other students, and some of these students become doctors
and other engineers). Yet both were taught the same grammar and English
mechanics. If engineers (and some tech writers) use poor grammar, let's
their shortcomings where they belong--on them and not their teachers . . .

As a long-time teacher of composition, I think the deficiencies in writing
skills that we encounter in learners at all levels have complex causes--
yes, we have been too reluctant to enforce a sense of personal responsibility
in our students, with the result that they blame their teachers for their
failure to apply themselves. Yes, student verbal skills continue to
atrophy under the assault of passive images from TV and video games.
Yes, some students are lazy, many immature, and a few downright stupid.

But let's not evade our own responsibilities. Sure there are dumb
students, but there are also lazy and incompetent teachers, and
administrators who place political expediency over sound educational
principles--I've encountered all these, too. The solution, I
think, it is hold both students and colleagues to high standards
of conduct, and insist on the importance and value of good writing
with the educational system (as I'm sure Prof. Snyder does).

Michael Calvert
Former English teacher, current library administrator
Newberry Library, Chicago, IL