Re: Definately

Subject: Re: Definately
From: Lori Holman <1179 -at- MN2 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 14:58:00 CDT

>I've seen "definately" so many times recently on so many lists that it
can't
>be a typo. A large number of people seem to believe that's the correct
>spelling of "definitely."

Some of us are bothered by this and other errors because we have a passion
for the English language and grammar. We're not word police or picky little
grumps. Face it, as technical communicators and English teachers, words
play a major role in our lives. When we see certain errors, we can't help
but notice them. I can't help myself from cringing every time I hear or
read "real good" instead of "really good" or see a misplaced "only." Sure,
we all make errors once in a while. But I get tired of seeing newspapers
and advertisers let these misspellings and major errors slip by them.