Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: Mark Boyer <MBoyer -at- BANYAN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 10:41:10 EDT

I agree that this is idiomatic, all the more reason to simplify it.
Consider that the sentence is not really parallel in that it uses the the
phrase "the Windows environment" with just "Unix." Get rid of that say
simply "in Windows" and "under Unix" and you've got a sentence that sounds
silly. Idiomatic traditions, such as "under Unix" were developed in
semiliterate environments and the traditions thus carry little weight with
me. I don't care whether you use "in" or "under"; but use the same for
both: "... runs in/under Windows and Unix."
Original Text