Re: concatenating PostScript files

Subject: Re: concatenating PostScript files
From: Frank Stearns <franks -at- FSATOOLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 15:47:26 -0700

> I produce change pages for our newest documentation set. I end up with lots
of
> separate PostScript files. I now need to combine these files to avoid a
> per-file setup charge from my print vendor. Anyone have any suggestions for
> combining PS files? A PostScript editor perhaps?

At one time I was told this couldn't be done, then my print shop said no
problem, they cat'd files together all the time. I later did this to get
around the very problem you describe. If you think about it, this makes
sense, as the imaging box is simply receiving a stream of jobs. It shouldn't
care if those jobs are in one file or many. So, using a script or simple
text editor or the redirected output of the "cat" command in UNIX, dump
your single files into one file.

Beware - this works in UNIX but I have *not* tried it in DOS. There could
be some header issues with DOS that do not exist in UNIX.

| Frank Stearns Associates | Developers of Tools for FrameMaker(r) |
| franks -at- fsatools -dot- com | Developers of Custom Software Tools |
| 360/892-3970 fx:360/253-1498 | Makers of IXgen, FM2A, & Hypergen |
| http://www.pacifier.com/~franks (Email if web page access problems) |
Please note our new area codes. Your local phone system may not recognize
an area code that does not have a "1" or "0" as the center digit. Use 206
through August 95, and ask your telephone service provider for an upgrade.