Preserve the right to show your work in your contract

Subject: Preserve the right to show your work in your contract
From: "Donna M. Sakson" <Donna -at- SAKSON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 09:07:00 PDT

On Fri, 19 May 1995, Timothy Schablin wrote:

> Is it safe to reveal the company names that these samples were written
for?

> In other words, If a document was written for XYZ company, can I reveal
> XYZ company's name, or do you think that company might not want others to
> see those documents.

In your contract, you might consider getting the right to show the published
piece as a sample of your work (and to enter it in the STC
publication/art/online competitions). If the client or employer objects, at
least you know this up front. With potentially sensitive documents such as
online employee handbooks, we've had to create a special portfolio version
which the client has approved.

Donna Sakson
donna -at- sakson -dot- com