Re: many efforts / reciprocate (fwd)

Subject: Re: many efforts / reciprocate (fwd)
From: Constance Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 16:05:07 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Kelly writes:

Someone (sorry, I've lost the original message) asked about using
"reciprocate with" in the following:

> "...the best way to reciprocate with our customers for their
> many years of patronage..."

I don't think the problem is the "with" -- it's "reciprocate" that
seems awkward to me. How about "the best way to reward our
customers..." or something similar?

Yes! "Reciprocate" means "to give in return." You may want to return the
favor if your custormers are loyal, but you can't give something in return
with your customers. "Reward" works well here.

...JS

Joanna Sheldon, PhD
Technical Writer,
Translator (German, French, Italian)