Microsoft Hulk (reply)

Subject: Microsoft Hulk (reply)
From: Edward Bedinger <ebeding -at- PEBBLES -dot- USWNVG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 19:37:40 GMT

I use HULK, but I've never used Doc-to-Help, so I can't
offer any contrast.

Hulk is unsupported (as Donna Sakson mentioned), but it
is stable and fairly easy to use if you already understand
the basic Help file components. It uses the usual MS Help
compiler, and still has the usual memory limitations, but it
comes with a WinWord template (what6.dot) that has macros
and a toolbar for ordinary tasks such as inserting topics,
graphics, etc--this simplifies the use of field codes for
linking bitmaps or .SHG files, and thus helps keep .rtf
files small enough to compile.

I'm not certain that all distributions of Hulk provide
the what6.dot, and the other amenities and tools that
make the HULK I use useful. My installation has a screen
grabber called FLASH that seems to be woefully bad at
both editing palettes and successfully saving files, but it
does grab and trim screens nicely. I use HiJaak when I need
to edit palettes, and I use SHED (which came with Hulk, I think)
to save and add hotspots to the images I grab.

BTW, the HULK installation I use came primarily from the
disk that is distributed with a book on creating MS Office apps.
I don't have it handy, but I can send you the title/isbn if you want it.

Ned Bedinger
ebeding -at- uswnvg -dot- com